Board for the Authorisation of Plant Protection Products and Biocides

Types of applications for plant protection products

We distinguish various types of applications for plant protection products. These can be divided into three categories:
  1. Applications for products
  2. Applications for substances
  3. Applications for derivation of the maximum residue level (MRL)


Applications for products

A plant protection product is a product with one or more active substances. We distinguish 4 types of applications in this category:

Core assessment

Authorisation is requested directly for a European zone. The application will be assessed in its entirety by a single Member State: the zonal rapporteur. During the assessment period, the other Member States in the zone can comment on the assessment of the zonal rapporteur. Read more

Mutual recognition

If a product has already been authorised in one EU Member State, applicants can request authorisation in other Member States by means of an application for mutual recognition. Read more

Minor uses

The Netherlands distinguishes 4 scenarios for requesting an authorisation for minor uses. Read more

Re-registration under transitional legislation

Some applications for re-registration of plant protection products are still being processed under the old legislation. Read more

Applications for substances

Besides applications for products, applications can also be submitted for an active substance. We distinguish 2 types of applications in this category:

Application for active substance

The application for an active substance takes place at the European level; all Member States are involved in this process. When these substances are authorised at the European level, they can be used in plant protection products. Read more

Application for other substances

This concerns applications for active substances with a low risk, co-formulants, safeners and synergists, and adjuvants. Read more

Application for derivation of Maximum Residue Level (MRL)

A product authorisation can be granted only if an MRL has been published in the EU that covers the requested use. Read more